SEAL FIELD RESPONSE TEAM (SFRT) VOLUNTEER DUTIES
- Patrol shoreline areas to find, document and assess Hawaiian monk seal activity.
- Perform land-based field response to specific reports of Hawaiian monk seal haul-out or stranding activity.
- While performing patrol or response activity, educate the public on endangered and threatened marine species.
- When appropriate, establish perimeters around Hawaiian monk seals on beaches and shorelines to decrease inappropriate and potentially dangerous interactions between marine mammals, humans and pets.
- Make timely and accurate reports of activities performed.
Areas that require volunteer support encompass all of the shoreline areas of Oahu and Molokai but volunteers are assigned duties based on where the volunteer lives and/or their geographic area(s) of interest.
SEAL FIELD RESPONSE TEAM (SFRT) VOLUNTEER GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
- Attend an initial classroom orientation and training session (approximately 2 hours).
- Complete initial in-field “on-the-job” training sessions (approximately 10 to 15 hours).
- Attend additional mandatory in-field or classroom training sessions (approximately 4 times per year).
- Possess an interest and a desire to engage with the public.
- Be at least 18 years old. If not 18 years old, you must be 16 years of age or older and will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian that has completed the applicable volunteer training.
- Reside on the island of Oahu or Molokai in the State of Hawaii.
- Ability to walk in shoreline beach and rocky conditions for 1 mile.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 35 pounds for 100 feet in shoreline beach and rocky conditions.
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor in potentially stressful conditions.
- Possess a team-based work ethic and attitude.
- Pass a background check.
- Access to a reliable car or truck. Motorcycles or scooters will not be sufficient.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Proof of automobile insurance carrying Hawaii minimum liability coverage levels.
- Access to a cellular phone with 4G data service and camera.
- Access to a digital camera (not a smartphone) with at least 35X zoom and Wi-Fi capabilities, OR access to a set of binoculars with at least 10X magnification. (One of these items is required.)
SEAL FIELD RESPONSE TEAM (SFRT) VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY EXPECTATIONS
SFRT volunteers usually participate in at least 1 or 2 activity sessions (approximately 4 hours each session) per month. Depending on the needs of the team, sessions can be either shoreline patrol, field response to specific sightings/strandings or being on-call (standby). Attend mandatory training/meetings (usually quarterly).